I had to walk a long time on the Medicine Wheel before I was ready to merge with West. Water is the Element of West. The Spirit Keeper of West is Mudjekeewis, who manifests so beautifully as the Great Bear.
On the wheel the time of the Mudjekeewis is the Evening till Midnight, Autumn, our adult years to elder time. This is the time of slowing down & taking stock of experiences, of going within, like the Grizzly in autumn, of going within spiritually, gaining strength from the knowledge earned; prepare for the time of “winter” or later times.
As with South, West widened my spiritual vision. I have had a most amazing relationship with Water & Orcas. They are one of the eldest wisdom keepers of the Worlds. We begin in water, we gestate in water. Dreams and visions gestate in the darkness, and the moisture of our fertile imagination and creativity. When I view a sunset, or look on the line, between land and water, I am reminded of my Ancestors stories of…. the betwixt and the between. The land known, but still very mysterious. We seek to rest at the end of the day, and chase our dreams, which is why dreams, lie in the West.
Other resources you may enjoy:
- Find out about Bear Medicine in this article, and this podcast.
- Waking the Bear ceremony and related podcast.
- Podcast episode on Getting to Know the Medicine Wheel.
- Podcast episode on the Four Directions of the Medicine Wheel.
- Free shamanic music and drumming.
- Or if you’re new to journey work and wish to develop your own relationship with spirit, get started with journey work here.
If you enjoyed this article, who may, please share it so others may benefit from it as well!
Also published on Medium.